If you have any need, issue or problem regarding the music industry, we can easily consult with you in order to solve it quickly.
About Jonathan G. Shaw
Jonathan Shaw is a professional music business consultant who has had considerable experience with business and technical operations of the independent music industry. Through having a clear understanding of your professional needs in the music industries, he can provide solutions that help you make informed decisions about the future of your career or business. Being a lecturer and educator he can identify a knowledge gap easily and increase your understanding quickly. He is an international speaker and has conducted workshops, lectures and presented papers in Namibia and Holland.
Click on the questions below to reveal the answers.
1. A: We can easily consult with you anywhere in the country, or the world, via e-mail, Skype or telephone. E-mail consults are done when you send your questions and we then respond by returning secured PDF documents to you - your initial queries are answered and one follow-up return is made. This is considered to be the same as a one hour, face-to-face consult. We are always happy to accomodate you and should you be in need of another alternative let us know.
2. A: The simple answer is, actually, no. The reason for this is that you need to understand and implement your business plan yourself. Therefore, we will provide you with services to help you prepare your own business plan. We can guide and mentor you while preparing your own business plan.
3. A: We can help you understand music industries structure and the role of various organisations, legal aspects and access to specialised industries attorneys, revenue streams and the operation of royalties in the music industries, the South African music industries environment and research, artist management and career development, the live music industry as well as music marketing.
4. A: While we are not legal practitioners (discolsure stipulated under Section 83 of the Attorneys Act, 1979) we do have specific knowledge of legal matters for the music industries. The Attorneys Act, however, does stipulate that certain legal actions such as drafting wills, drawing up liquadation documents, appearing in court, agreements for immovable property, articles of assocition for a company, creation or dissolution of a partnership, and court documents must be attended to by a qualified attorney. Anything else, beside these, we are suited to help you with.
5. A: Our major clients include the South African Department of Trade and Industry, Gauteng Provincial Government, Eastern Cape Provincial Government, Small Enterprise Development Agency (Seda), The National Association of Broadcasters, Songe Music Promotions and DTM SA. We have consulted for many artists, record labels, recording studios, internet service providers, music publishers, law firms and government and provided solutions and insights for many start-up and established businesses and professionals. We have provided services across southern Africa including clients in Namibia, Mozambique and Angola.
6. A: Consultancy helps you to fill the gaps in your knowledge. Where you do not have the time to undertake research or are looking to create value for your ambition, project, investment or business plan you may consider consulting in order to have quick, informed and authoritative information to support and justify your decisions. The business environment is constantly changing, and the access to professionals who are constantly in touch with the music industries can help lower your risk in a changing industry landscape. Value can be made when gaining insights into purchasing new hardware and software, navigating an internet strategy, improving value chain operations, hiring staff, embarking on a promotional campaign or simply knowing the industry better from an independent viewpoint. By consulting with a music business professional you can get a skill your company needs temporarily, that it may not need permanently. There is no 'silver bullet' or ‘magic wand’ to instant success but consulting should help you take a different look at your problems, refresh your thinking and open doors which ultimately make being in the music industries easier.
7. A: Firstly, download our rates and take a look. Generally speaking, the number of hours you spend in consultation with us is what you will pay for. This is paid for before your consultation and so you are not billed for extra time. We can also work on a monthly retainer basis if neccessary, should you have a longer relationship in mind. Contact us should you wish to discuss a retainer.
Music business practice
Copyright and intellectual property
Research and survey administration
Drafting of contracts
Rights clearence and administration
Both Wits Enterprise and DTM SA referred to Jonathan Shaw as "the guru"!
"You conduct yourself very professionally and we'd recommend you highly. Thank you for your efforts and contribution." Mhlanganisi Masoga, Department of Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation, Gauteng Provincial Government
"You're the guru!" Karen Du Toit, DTM SA
Jonathan Shaw speaking on Morning Live about how technology is affecting the music industries:
Jonathan Shaw was a speaker at TEDxJohannesburg, 2010. Watch the video on YouTube or here:
Hear, albeit a little rushed, Jonathan Shaw talking at Moshito 2011: